First, my appologies for those that tried to access this post earlier. It completely disappeared! I’m not sure what happened! So, I had to start again!
My book is Quilting & Patchwork, printed in 1979.
Not sure why I even bought it. Likely the only book on quilting I had seen EVER. I have not made anything from this book, until now.
As I recently went through the book I had a good laugh. Everything looks very old, but fitting for the late ’70s.
I decided to make the place mats. They looked easy and quick. Plus, I’d been wanting to make placemats for myself out of some spring-like fabric I had. And February is the perfect time to try to hurry spring along.
This would be quick and easy! Right? What’s hard about a square in a square?
The directions started with, “Add ¼” seam allowance to all pattern pieces.” Then it started to tell me “1. Draw a 13″ square on lightweight cardboard 2. Find the centre of each side …”
Well, I wasn’t about to make cardboard templates. NO WAY. That was in the dark ages of quilting … I’d use my ruler and rotary cutter.
But, I had forgotten how you measured for square in a square. And, I dIdn’t take time to look up. I was flying by the seat of my pants. And then I was landing on the seat of my pants, not flying!
I know that you need to cut carefully when trimming a square in a square so that you don’t loose the points. I cut a perfect ¼”. See the perfect ¼”?
OH GROAN!!! I knew I had enough fabric, so I carefully unstitched the piece. Re-sewed the triangle – And guess what? I did the same thing AGAIN! I was SO frustrated with myself!
My intent was to email Bea and tell her I was going to drop out of the blog hop, but I’d wait until the morning. In the morning the protect was saying “you can do this.” SEW, I sat down and worked on it and never did email Bea. Then, I was super careful when I was trimming the blocks.
It wasn’t long, and the 4 placemat tops were done. The directions suggested an envelope technique. I haven’t had a lot of success with this technique in the past, but I thought I’d give it another try. And then I could bypass the binding. I did add Hobbs Batting 80/20 to give it a bit of body. Enveloping worked like a charm.
I stitched in the ditch And the placemats were done!
I put the placemats on the table and added some china. I never use my china and I had to dust it off as well!
Make sure that you visit the other blogs that have joined in the blog hop.
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!