OK … in THIS POST, I talked about how I hate hand sewing on hanging sleeves. I really dislike hand sewing. period.
Making the sleeve is easy …
- Measure the width of the quilt. Add 1″
- Take the width of the quilt and cut a 8.5″ strip
- Turn under 1/4″ on each end of the strip.
- Sew this strip lengthwise with a 1/4″ seam.
- Secure the sleeve to the quilt
- sew the top of the sleeve just below the binding
- Press the bottom of the sleeve, measure up 3/4″ on the side towards the quilt. Press
- the last pressed line is what you fasten to the quilt (this leaves space for the rod to be inserted so that the quilt can hang
When I’ve done this for quilt shows, I’ve made the sleeves and pinned them on. They’re only going to hang for a couple of days, so I don’t need to worry about rust or too much stress.
Anyhow … after talking about how I HATE hand sewing, I had 2 comments that I thought were worth mentioning.
- Gene Black an Alabama Artist suggested fusing the sleeve on. I think this is a great idea for a wall hanging!
- Kathleen, from Kathleen McMusing, suggested putting them on with a blind hem and using invisible thread. I thought this was a brilliant idea.
SEW … when a gal needs to get 3 quilt sleeves on, she uses her sewing machine. As you can see, I used the blind hem stitch. There was a grey thread in the bobbin (that’s what you can see) and I had Aurifil invisible thread on top. There is NO stitching visible on the quilt! Perfect.
Once I had the sleeves attached, I realized that I probably should have cut the sleeves 9″ wide as using the blind hem takes up some fabric.
SEW … I have finished my 3 SECRET quilts … when the time is right, I will show you … until then, be patient!
Inspired by Nature Blog Hop
For a re-cap of all the wonderful quilts this week, check out Island Batik’s blog HERE.
Did you enter to win some awesome fabric?
Click on the link below to have an opportunity to win Fat Quarter bundles of wonderful fabric: either Sweet Hearts or Love and Kisses
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!
- Midweek Makers @ QuiltFabrication
- Wednesday Wait Loss @ Inquiring Quilter
- Happy Needle and Thread @ My Quilt Infatuation
- Muv / Free Motion Mavericks @ Lizzie Lenard Vintage Sewing
- Put your Foot Down @ For the Love of Geese
- Can I get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
- Finished or Not Friday @ Alycia Quilts
- Sherry @ Powered by Quilting
- Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty
- Off the Wall Friday @ Creations – Quilts, Art, Whatever
- Peacock Party @ Wendy’s Quilts and More
- TGIFF @ Storied Quilts