How are you doing with your PHD in 2021?
Are you slugging away at a project that doesn’t seem to have an end in sight? We’ve all been there. Did you know that as you’re slugging away, it’s OK to switch to something else for a short time, or take a break. If you know me at all, squaring up HST or blocks is NOT my favourite thing. I know it gives good results, but taking those slivers off of a HST is just plain boring. So, one of my tactics is to do 10 and then do something else. Then do another 10. Pretty soon, all 2000 (an exaggeration) are done! And it feels good to have that task completed.
Here’s my tally for the year so far. I have completed 12 UFOs and I just need to finish all of the projects that I started and I’ll have achieved my Phd in 2021! I’ve got 2 months left, so I’m hoping it’s a good 2 months of sewing!
Link up and show us your PHD in 2021 Progress.
Island Batik’s November Blog Hop starts tomorrow!!! Come back tomorrow to see my beautiful quilts made with the Bellingham Bay Fabric collection!
In the meantime, you have an opportunity to win either a strip pack or a stack of Bellingham Bay fabric!a Rafflecopter giveaway https://widget-prime.rafflecopter.com/launch.js
I have a Finish!
I did finish one of the guild baby mystery quilts … I used it when I took a “Beanie” ruler class from Silly Moon. Nope, I’m not going to show you the front, but here is the back. There is NO way you can tell what the front is! (chuckle) But I learned how to easily make concentric circles, clam shells, circles, and baptist fans. And I played with the ruler in the in the border.
My Favourite Quilt this month!
My favourite quilt has got to be the Pangolin that I made for October’s Island Batik challenge. I absolutely loved doing all the zen-doodling in the scales! This piece is 20″ square and you can read about it HERE. I will be linking to Meadow Mist Designs.
#1 Scrappy Improv Quilting …
I’m still working on a Hot Air Balloon quilt from Kelly Young’s “Scrappy Improv Quilting” Book. I decided that I would use different techniques for making slabs and have 4 balloons … I haven’t gotten too far … Obviously my balloons need baskets and the sky around them … And my Island Batik scraps isn’t much smaller!
#2. Scrappy Improv Quilting …
This is from the pattern “Prismatic.” I had some scrappy Island Batik log cabin blocks that were languishing in a pile. What to do with them? I sewed them all randomly together and made a large slab. Then I cut it up. The log cabin blocks were 3/4″ finished … so there are a LOT of tiny pieces in these blocks. They will be sewn together with white fabric surrounding them.
#4, #5, & #6 Secret Sewing: Island Batik
I’m happy to report that all of the patterns have been written. 2 of them are tested and ready to roll. And 2 of them are still being tested.
#1 Secret Island Batik project is being quilted
I got “paid” in fabric for the class that I taught. Even though I didn’t “buy” it, it still adds to my stash. I added 11 yards of flannel … all for backing baby quilts. And I did use 1.25 yards on the back of the mystery quilt (see the purple above?)
- Fabric Used this week 1.25 yards
- Fabric Used this year: 100.25 yards
- Fabric Bought this week: 11 yards
- Fabric Added this year: 50. 75 yards (my husbands amounts as well)
- Net Fabric used 49.5 yards
- Husband’s purchases: 0 yards (which are added into my total amount of Fabric added this year). For those of you who don’t know … my husband often buys more fabric than I do … so, I’m keeping track! Unfortunately, he doesn’t sew!
I have been sewing for at LEAST 3-4 hours each day … deadlines add pressure, you know! So my stitchin’ time is good!
- January – October – 292/ 272
- Total: 292 / 303
- Percentage = 96 %
For more Stitchin’ Time, you can check out Kate’s blog: Life in Pieces
Linda from Texas Quilt Gal is now hosting “To Do” every week. You can check out her blog HERE.
The last To Do list: (from AGES ago)
OK … even though I had a LOT of time to complete everything, pattern writing and making the secret quilts took a LOT of time!
- Continue working on Island Batik’s November project DONE!!!
- Work on 3rd Project from Scrappy Improv Nope … in progress
- Work on Island Batik’s December project ... in progress
- Complete top for Secret Sewing BBQG mystery quilt #2 All 3 quilt tops are done, one is quilted.
- Do NOT be distracted by any SQUIRRELS! √ DONE
- Tidy & clean studio for 30 minutes I need to start doing this daily!
This week’s list:
- Sandwich BBQG Guild Mystery #2 & #3
- Sandwich Island Batik Secret #4
- Sew top together Prismatic from Scrappy Improv
- Work on Island Batik’s December project
- Finish Island Batik Secret #2 top
- Finish Quilting Island Batik Secret #3
- Do NOT be distracted by any SQUIRRELS! I NEED this continual reminder!
- Tidy & clean studio for 30 minutes
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!
- Tish @ Tish’s Adventures in Wonderland
- So Scrappy @ Scrap Happy
- Cheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs
- Sunday Stash @ quiltpaintcreate
- Oh Scrap @ Quilting is More Fun than Housework
- 15 minutes to Stitch @ Life in Pieces
- Frédérique @ Quilting Patchwork Applique
- Monday Making @ Love, Laugh, Quilt
- Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
- To-Do Tuesday @ Texas Quilt Gal