This month’s challenge is to make a quilt that is juvenile inspired using the accuquilt die that we received in the July box. I recieved the Cleopatra’s Fan AccuQuilt die. (You can see the unboxing video HERE.) There was a lot of chatter on the private facebook page about Cleopatra’s Fan being “an old lady’s block.” I laughed, but then I kept thinking about the “old lady’s block.” What to do?
In July, I had received a fat quarter bundle of “Primo” by Ebony Love!!! LUCKY ME!!! With the circles and dashes and the fun designs, it spoke to me and said, “I’m your fabric for the juvenile challenge.” SEW … that’s what I used. I choose the purples, pinks, and oranges for this project.
I started out making the blocks with the Cleopatra’s Fan Die. At first, I was NOT happy. This block has CURVED seams! That is almost a guarantee for swearing and cussing! However, I was able to cut out each block with one pass of the die. Each piece is cut perfectly. I certainly can’t complain about that!
Yes, I was grumbling as I pieced those curved seams. But you know what??? Because it was cut perfectly, they actually went together fairly easily. Yes, I had to take my time, but I managed to make 12 blocks without talking with my seam ripper very often! And, I don’t think I swore too often!
I put the blocks up on the design wall … and thought and thought and thought … what could I do to make these “old lady blocks” look more juvenile? A teddy bear, perhaps? No … that wouldn’t really fit and would sort of be baby-ish.
Then it hit me: A butterfly! A butterfly would be perfect. But I couldn’t find one that used squares and half-square triangles. Sew, I drew what I wanted. And figured out what I needed.
I cut the squares and triangles with the left-over fabric from the Cleopatra’s fan blocks. The Accuquilt Cube dies were perfect for cutting up scraps! I loved the perfectly cut half-square triangles and the squares. It made piecing the butterfly SEW easy!
The binding is scrappy and other than a couple of little squares of fabric. I don’t have any scraps left from the fat quarters I used.
Then, it was time for the photo-shoot! I dragged my hubby up the road to the park and he helped me arrange the quilt and so I could get some ‘juvenile’ inspired photos!
The quilt is on a climbing thing, cuddled up for a swing, going for a slide and hanging out on the multi-activity thing.
The quilt is quilted with Aurifil thread: purple #2581(Centre of butterfly and antenna), dark pink #2452 (top butterfly wings, Cleopatra’s fans), light orange #2205 (bottom of butterfly) and beige #2000 (the background swirls).
Batting is Hobbs Cotton batting with scrim.
Disclaimer: The products featured in this Blog post were given to me by Island Batik, and their program partners: Aurifil, Hobbs Batting & AccuQuilt!
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!