We had some delightful company from Ireland visiting! It was a lot of fun to visit with them. I did get a little bit of sewing done when they went to be tourists in Vancouver! But, I’ve also spent a LOT of time moving into my new sewing room. Yes, I’ll show you pictures when I have things where I want them. I did sort through ALL my fabric … and I have a ton of it ready to go out … I mentioned it on our guild’s FB page and a few people have showed interest in it. I just need to get organized and get it to them!
I did manage to sew up three little bags. The white fabric is “colouring fabric.” My daughter gave the plain, uncoloured rectangles to a couple of little girls. They came for dinner the other night and I had them pick out zippers. It was lots of fun to watch them pick out the colours they liked, with no regards to the finished project! They just picked out what they liked! Perfect! I stitched their initials on the tabs. It was a fun way to stitch them! Continue reading →
In the spring, at our guild, I demo’d how to web a quilt. They asked me to provide written instructions. Well, that proved extremely difficult for me. SEW … as I was webbing my demo quilt for the Baby Quilt Marathon, I decided to do a video. You can see it on YouTube HERE. The quilt in the video is below.
This challenge scared me! I’m not an artsy-fartsy quilter. I don’t do “art.” The challenge directions were: Use any fabric art/non-traditional quilting/sewing/thread painting technique using 3 Aurifil thread weights.Oh me, oh my … what to do? I literally had NO idea. None at all. I was wondering if I could skip this challenge? Perhaps pay someone to do it for me? no … that’s not my style … I couldn’t live with the guilt!
Then, I was looking at a crazy quilt hanging in a sewing machine store and it hit me!!!
YEAH!!! Suddenly, I knew what to do. I would do a crazy quilt block, embroider it with at least 3 weights of Auriful thread, make it into a little bag and call it done! What a relief to have a plan!
And, thankfully, I had the perfect fabric left-over from my Christmas RAPPing table runner. (see HERE). Along with pieces from the Island Batik Stash Builder bundles.
In April, we travelled across the country, which meant a few LONG plane rides. I quickly made my crazy quilt blocks, sewing them onto Hobbs 80/20 batting. One was partially embroidered on our trip.
Earlier this spring, Jennifer Strauser. an Island Batik ambassador, reached out and asked if any of us would like to do a Quilt of Valor. I said, “yes,” provided I could do a Canadian one. The answer was “yes!” SEW, I knew I would be using only the white and red fabrics. We were all sent a stack (like a layer cake) of red, white, and blue fabric. Along with yardage: a solid white, 2 reds and 3 blues. It was a bit of a challenge to use just the red and white in the package. I did end up using one navy with red poppies on it. Also, I needed to use a red fabric from a stash builder bundle and some white=ish fabric left over from my “Stars on Ice” quilt.
Here is a picture of the stack from the Freedom line:
This quilt is my own pattern “Ivan’s Diamonds” and I’ve made it several times. You can check them out HERE, HERE, and HERE. Although, this is the first time I’ve put a maple leaf in the middle. I used the Artistic Cutter to cut out the Maple Leaf.
The quilt will hang in the Quilt of Valour display at the Ladner Car and Quilt Show in August. After that, Lynn, our guild’s Quilts of Valour volunteer, will deliver it to a representative from Quilts of Valour and it will eventually be presented to a past or present member of the Canadian Armed Forces who is ill or injured as a result of their service to Canada.
Here is a close-up of the centre of the quilt. This picture shows the true colours better than the above picture. It is grafitti quilted with a light grey, Aurifil #2600 and Hobbs 80/20 batting. I did bind it with a dark navy as there was not enough red fabric left for binding.