I’m wondering if I’m Going Crazy?
Last week, on Monday, I was teaching at Essem and we were looking at walking foot quilting. My machine wouldn’t work with the walking foot on it. Dang! I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. The class participants were stellar and so I didn’t need to demonstrate on my machine. When I came home, I pulled the machine out and it worked like a charm. I was relieved that it wouldn’t need to go to the machine doctor or have a spa appointment!
Fast forward to Friday. I went to a Quilt-as-you-Go workshop. When I got there, I set up my machine. I put the extension table in place, with the slip slide thing taped in place. Turned on my machine. The walking foot wouldn’t work! WHAT???? Knowing that I needed it, or at the very least, I wanted to use it, I sat and stared (maybe GLARED) at it. I did not swear – promise! 🤪
The feed dogs were not working. WHY? The feed dogs were not lowered. I checked that! What is wrong???
stared glared some more … and then it hit me! DUH!!! DUH!!! DUH!!! The slip slide thingy is good for free motion, but it does cover up the feed dogs. As soon as I removed it, the walking foot worked like a charm!
Yup, sometimes I think I’m going crazy!
Classic Cars: Monthly Colour Challenge
May’s Classic Car colour is Grey …. Visit Patterns by Jen HERE for your free download of this month’s block …
Here’s my May block, followed by the January, February, March, April and May blocks … I know that I ‘stretched’ the grey colour a bit, but I’m trying to use up my bits and pieces of Island Batik scraps and this seemed to fit the bill!
One Gift a Month
May’s gift is Soup Bowl Cozies. You can go to Days Filled With Joy for information and links to several different on-line tutorials.
So far for the One Gift a Month, I have made January’s, February’s, and April’s gifts.
Yes, I will be making Soup Bowl Cozies … soon, it obviously won’t be in May! Here is the fabric for my bowl cozy … These are 10″ squares from a stack of Island Batik “Pumpkin Spice” that I had. Now to get some cotton batting that doesn’t have scrim on it! …
Kate, from Life in Pieces, is hosting “Stitching Stuff” and the goal is to sew for at least 15 minutes a day. I use Kate’s guideline, but my personal goal is to sew for 30 minutes a day. On those “blah” days, it does motivate me to sit at my machine and 30 minutes often turns into several hours. Thank you Kate for the motivation!
- January – May: 147 /150
- June: 4/ 4
- Total: 151 / 154
- Percentage: 98%
Donna at Quilt Paint Create hosts a weekly linky party where you can display your stash numbers. This has really kept my stash from growing (somewhat!) Before I buy anything, I am always mindful of the fact that I need to report it on my blog … That sometimes stops me in my tracks!
I saw this meme on a friends blog (Brenda) and it just cracked me up! “I’m not a Hoarder … I’m the Curator of an Extensive Private Fabric collection.” And with the chicken holding all the extra fabric, it’s perfect. You can see this at Songbird Designs HERE.
This meme is very appropriate for me!
So, as I mentioned, I took a workshop making a Quilt-as-you-Go quilt. It was a LOT of fun!!! Thanks to Dawn and Nora for organizing and teaching. This quilt used 3 yards of fabric from my extensive stash collection, plus about 1/2 yard for binding and Hobbs 80/20 batting from left-over pieces. It will be donated to the guild’s baby quilt charity!
No shopping. No fabric added!
- Fabric Used the last week: 3.5 yards
- Fabric Used in 2023: 111 yards from non-IB: 50
- Fabric Bought this week: 0 yards
- Fabric Added this year: 12.5 yards
- Net Fabric used: 98.5 yards
Just an FYI: I do not count any fabric that is given to me (Island Batik), but this year, I am going to count it as fabric used.
To Do Tuesday
Carol from Quilt Schmilt is hosting “To Do” every week.
The To Do list from last week:
- Finish Mystery Quilt (making and writing). Partially done. I have the quilt quilted and just need to bind it. The border portion needs to be written.
- X’s & O’s #1 & #2: bind √ DONE #2 is bound, but I need to do a photo shoot and then I can show it to you.
- Finish “When Pigs Fly” project √ DONE … you’ll see this on June 19!
- Finish the Secret Project for Kelly Young’s new book – I’ll be telling you all about it in June! Partially done. It’s still a work in progress
- Lone Star Left-overs – get it to a flimsy stage. … Partially done. I’m still webbing the top
- Do NOT be distracted by any SQUIRRELS! I NEED this continual reminder! √ DONE
- Tidy & clean studio for 30 minutes. √ DONE
This week’s list:
- Finish Mystery Quilt (making and writing).
- Make the Crazy quilt with Decorative stitches for Essem … I’m teaching this class in a few weeks.
- Finish the Secret Project #1 for Kelly Young’s new book – I’ll be telling you all about it later this month!
- Finish the Secret Project #2 for Kelly Young’s new book
- Lone Star Left-overs – get it to a flimsy stage
- Do NOT be distracted by any SQUIRRELS! I NEED this continual reminder!
- Tidy & clean studio for 30 minutes.
Judy, at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, hosts a linky party for “What’s on your Design Wall” every week.
- #1 Secret Project for Kelly Young’s new book (mostly the purples and greens from the Island Batik Napa Valley collection)
- #2 Secret Project for Kelly Young’s new book. (Island Batik, “Wild Blooms”)
- Crazy Quilt for Essem using Grunge and other fabric
- Some blocks ready for webbing from Lone-Star Left-overs (Island Batik “Naturescape”)
Yup … it’s official, I am crazy … working on 4 projects at once!!! I know I often work on at least 2, along with a leader and ender … but 4??? Actually 6 … I don’t have a picture of the back for Secret Project #1 … it’s also in progress, as is the back for the Lone-Star Left-overs. YIKES!!!!
Quilting: These are all sandwiched and ready to quilt …
- Bird Panel
Upcoming Blog Hops
Moose Stash Quilting: Sew It – Show It: When Pigs Fly (My day is June 19)
Just Let Me Quilt: Sew It – Show It: Picnic Party. (My day is July 20)
Moose Stash Quilting: Sew It – Show It: Call Me Crazy
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!
- So Scrappy @ Scrap Happy
- Sunday Stash @ quiltpaintcreate
- Oh Scrap @ Quilting is More Fun than Housework
- Frédérique @ Quilting Patchwork Applique
- 15 Minutes to Stitch @ Life in Pieces
- Sew and Tell @ Melva Loves Scraps
- Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
- Monday Musing @ Songbird Designs
- To Do Tuesday @ Quilt Schmitt