I am NOT an artist – as far as drawing and thread painting goes. Nope, not me! So, this was a very challenging and intimidating challenge for me to attempt!
I started with an idea … and started it and … it sat, because it wasn’t quite right …
I had this circle on the design wall for the longest time … I had cut 2 wedges out of each of the Deco Revival fabric package that I was sent in my July Island Batik box. Many of the pieces were directional and I needed to piece them to get the wedges to go in the direction I wanted.
I hesitated in piecing the wedges together, because I just wasn’t sure … and so they sat some more, were rearranged a few times and sat … and sat …
I had NO problems at all with the fabrics … I love them, but my idea … parts of it were good … parts of it were not …
So, the wedges sat.
By the way …. this fabric should be in quilt stores now … make sure you ask for it!
I had been thinking about my time in Africa last September and how I loved seeing the elephants and was in awe seeing them in the wild! I wanted to add an elephant in the centre, but what I started with wasn’t going to work.
And so the wedges sat!
The picture below was taken in Etosha National Park in Namibia. (A small country on the African west coast, about a 90 minute plane ride north of Cape Town, South Africa).
So, my circle sat and sat and sat on the design wall. Finally at 3 am one sleepless night, the perfect solution hit me … elephant and zendoodle … that’s a type of thread painting – right?
I have a beautiful grey Island Batik solid … that can be my elephant … and the border …
The wedges were quickly stitched together, the border added and the base quilting done.
I stitched the wedges in the ditch and with straight or wavy lines with various colours of Aurifil thread …
- #2000 (light beige) for the wedges to the top
- #2600 (light grey) for the top 5 wedges on each side
- #2793 (dark blue) for the bottom 5 wedges on each side
- #4225 (purple) for the bottom wedges.
I found a colouring page of an elephant and traced it on to the grey fabric. I made sure I had the eye and the ear placement and the rest I left.
I then spray basted the grey fabric onto Hobbs 80/20 batting and started stitching … I used Aurifil black #2682 to outline the body, and then did the ear and eye. The rest of the elephant was zen-doodled with Aurifil dark grey #5004. I wanted white for the tusks and used Aurifil white #2021.
Many of the doodle patterns that I used were from when I did Helen Godden’s flower power quilt. (See HERE) You can see most of them in the lower body and legs.
I had a LOT of fun doing this and was sort of sad when it was finished.
Then I carefully trimmed the elephant and placed it on the circle. I use Elmer’s purple disappearing glue to stick it on. Using the black thread, I satin stitched the outside and a few defining parts of the elephant. I used the white thread to outline the tusks. I had to go over the tusks twice to cover up the black thread I had used to outline the elephant.
I used Hobbs 80/20 for the elephant (traupanto) and also on the whole quilt. This piece measures 36″ x 36″.
The binding is scrappy, with the light pieces on top portions and the darker pieces on the lower portion.
Disclaimer: All products used for this wall hanging were generously provided by Island Batik and the industry partners: Hobbs batting, Aurifil and Schmetz needles. Thank you!
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!