I received “Vintage Lace” collection, designed by Kathy Engle. It should be in the stores in February.
The top and bottom rows have 4 colours each, the other 4 rows have 3 … which means that I used all 20 fabrics in the blocks. The sashing is a basics called “Snow” and the cornerstones and binding are “Hunter.” (All of the fabrics are pictured below.)
The name of the collection made me think of traditional blocks and I pulled out my Accuquilt cutter and this wonderful book “GO! QUBE” by Quilt in a Day / Eleanor Burns.
I drew out many of the blocks in EQ and used the program to colour in the blocks.
Using the Accuquilt ensures perfect size quilt pieces … in this case the 2 1/2″ half-square triangles. Once sewn together, there will be no dog ears to cut off and, as long as my 1/4″ seam is accurate, the block will finish at 2″ square.
As I was piecing many of the blocks, the colour combinations made me think of my grandma. I didn’t get to visit her often, but the fabrics reminded me of her sofa and doilies … I know she had a rocking chair that was similar in colour to the lighter green fabric … perhaps that’s where the memories come from!
There was nothing in my Island Batik stash that was large enough for the backing, so I cut large squares from the left-over fabric and used the following fabrics:
- Cheerios-Jungle Water
- Medallion Lace-Amazon
- Medallion Lace-Raspb
- Medallion Lace-Fall F
- Floral Swirl Lace-Butter
- Floral Swirl Lace – Corn
- Floral Swirl Lace – Spin
- Floral Swirl Lace – Cha
- Dots – Pineneedles
- Dot – Vine opal
- Dot Floral-Opal
- Dot Floral- Plum
- Paisley Lace Beaujois
- Paisley Lace – Peony
- Mini Floral Vine-Fall F
- Mini Floral Vine-Corn
Here is a picture of me just starting the quilting. I used Silly Moon “Beanie” rulers and quilted a Baptist fan over the entire quilt. And, just in case you’re wondering, I did take out that stitching (see the skipped stitches?) and changed the needle (the previous one had pieced this quilt and probably 2 others!) … much better results!
Here are pictures of the individual blocks.
Make sure that you visit The Inquiring Quilter, Jennifer also received “Vintage Lace” and I’m dying to see what she made with this great collection!
Visit the other Ambassadors!
The other Island Batik Ambassadors . make sure you visit each one … they all have beautiful quilts!
- Brenda Alburl ~ Songbird Designs
- Megan Best ~ Bestquilter
- Pamela Boatright ~ Pamelaquilts
- Elizabeth DeCroos ~ Epida Studio
- Jennifer Fulton ~ Inquiring Quilter
- Preeti Harris ~ Sew Preeti Quilts
- Mania Hatziioannidi ~ Mania for quilts
- Jane Hauprich ~ Stitch By Stitch Custom Quilting
- Reed Johnson ~ Blue Bear Quilts
- Connie Kauffman ~ Kauffman Designs
- Emily Leachman ~ The Darling Dogwood
- Denise Looney ~ For The Love Of Geese
- Leah Malasky ~ Quilted Delights
- Maryellen McAuliffe ~ Mary Mack Made Mine
- Anorina Morris – sameliasmum.com
- Lisa Pickering ~ Lisa’s Quilting Passion
- Claudia Porter ~ Create with Claudia
- Gail Renna ~ Quilt Haven Threads
- Brianna Roberts ~ Sew Cute And Quirky
- Michelle Roberts ~ Creative Blonde
- Gail Sheppard ~ Quilting Gail
- Andi Stanfield ~ True Blue Quilts
- Sandra Starley ~ Textile Time Travels
- Jennifer Thomas ~ Curlicue Creations
- Suzy Webster ~ Websterquilt