Earlier this year, as we had a parade for the SAHRR (pronounced Stay At Home Round Robin), we announced that we would be doing it again in 2023.
For the past 3 years, I have done a SAHRR and have made different quilts. The first year I did it on my own and then for the next 2 years, I had some fantastic blogging/quilting friends join in the fun!
Here’s the quilts from previous SAHRRs. The two on the are from 2022 & 2021 and the two on the right are ones I did on my own. It’s so much MORE fun with others! Here’s the LINK where you can see all the quilts made last year.
What’s a Round Robin?
This is a common activity in many quilt guilds. A round robin (in quilting terms) is where each person makes a centre block. This block is put in a bag or container, maybe with extra fabric, perhaps with a notebook, and the bag is passed onto another quilter in the group. They are given instructions as to what kind of border (or round) they are to add on to the quilt. Sometimes the next person will make a border for each side, or one side or two sides of the block. It’s then passed on to another quilter and it continues on … when the quilt centre and all the borders are completed, it is returned to the original maker of the centre block.
So, I stay at home?
That’s correct! You and your centre block and the borders all stay home. You have to make the decisions as to what to add when given directions. How big, how many … it’s up to you.
How do I join?
There’s nothing to join, no sign up. All you need to do is follow our blogs.
How often does this happen?
On January 16, we will show you our centre blocks … I haven’t seen any of my friends blocks – so it’s going to be a surprise for each of us. This will give you some ideas of what you can make or use (do you have orphan blocks?)
Then on January 23 (and each Monday following) we will give you instructions as to what the next border/round is to be. Again, we will all show you our centre blocks with the first border to give you some ideas.
Here are my blogging co-leaders in the order of what we will be doing and the linky parties we will be holding each week. (There will only be one linky party each week … and we’ll direct you to it …)
- January 16: I will host the first linky party … for you to show each of your centre blocks … but you’ll have to visit each of the SAHRR co-host bloggers to see their centre blocks
- January 23: 1st Round: Roseanne & Sue @ Home Sewn by Us
- January 30 : 2nd Round: Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life
- February 6: 3rd Round: Chris @ Chrisknitssews
- February 13: 4th Round: Anja @ Anja Quilts
- February 20: 5th Round: Emily @ The Darling Dogwood
- February 27: 6th Round: ME!!! @ Quilting Gail
- March 13: Parade – showing all of your finished SAHRRs!
This Year we have Sponsors!
We reached out to several companies that we all LOVE and many of them agreed to sponsor the SAHRR 2023!!! We will keep track of all of the participants that link to our Linky parties each week. We will make a list and use a random number generator to choose the winners for each prize! So, it you link up to 3 Linky parties, you will have 3 opportunities to win!
- Island Batik 3 fat quarter bundles
- Hobbs batting Queen Size Wool Batt
- Aurifil Thread Colour Builder: (3) 50 wt Milan Grey spools
- Prairie Spirit Alpacas 12″ x 18″ Alpaca /Wool pressing mat
- Oliso Mini Iron
- Fat Quarter Shop $25 gift certificate
- and MORE!!!!
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don’t want to make that round? It’s your quilt – you can leave it out
What size do I make it? That’s up to you … you are sort-of the designer here.
Are the rounds hard? No … each round is pretty simple … squares, rectangles, half-square triangles with perhaps a surprise.
What colours do I use? That’s up to you … you can follow what one of the SAHRR leader uses or have your own colour scheme.
What if I miss a round? You can leave it out, or go back to the blog where the directions are given.
Will you cut my fabric for me? No
How often will the quilt police check on me and my progress? There are NO quilt police!! None!!
What do I do now?
Make sure that you follow each of the SAHRR leaders so that you don’t miss their posts.
Start thinking about what you might do for a centre block.
Relax … this is easy … and it’s only one round each week!
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!
- Midweek Makers @ QuiltFabrication
- Wednesday Wait Loss @ Inquiring Quilter
- Happy Needle and Thread @ My Quilt Infatuation
- Andrée / Free Motion Mavericks @ Quilting & Learning – What a combo!
- Put your Foot Down @ For the Love of Geese @ True Blue Quilts
- Can I get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
- Finished or Not Friday @ Alycia Quilts
- Sherry @ Powered by Quilting
- Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty
- Off the Wall Friday @ Creations – Quilts, Art, Whatever
- Peacock Party @ Wendy’s Quilts and More
- TGIFF @ Anja Quilts