In July, Kelly, of My Quilt Infatuation, emailed me and asked if I would be willing to participate in a blog hop promoting her new book. I felt honoured and of course, I said, “YES.”
She asked me to make an improve ornament mini quilt! This is the quilt she asked me to make! Isn’t it cute?
Sew … I gathered a bunch of blue and purple Island Batik scraps.
Then I sewed them together sort-of following the directions in the book. A lot of my scraps had weird angles in them … so mine aren’t totally square … more improv!
I followed the directions for making the ornaments. They were very clear and easy to follow. As directed, I did use my Tri-Recs rulers for making the purple ornament.
I used Island Batik solid “Turquoise” on the purple ornament and “Amethyst” on the blue ornaments. The strings were made with “Dark Grey.” And the background is “Rice.” I absolutely LOVE Rice!!!
This mini quilt is quilted the same as in the book … stippling in the background and organic straight(ish) lines on the ornaments. I used Aurifil 2600 – Dove to quilt it. And yes, I did stitch in the ditch around the strings and the ornaments.
This was such a fun quilt to make! I’m sure I will be making more mini quilts from this blog!
I have already made “Up, Up and Away,” using Kelly’s instructions on enlarging the quilt. I made it baby sized. I posted about it, and your can read about it HERE.
To me, Kelly’s “Scrappy Improv Quilting” book is one that EVERYONE should have in their book collection! There is a HUGE variety of mini quilts and you can make them bigger as well! I know I already said this, but the book is very well written. The directions are clear and easy to follow!
I actually have 2 more quilts from this book in progress … and I will show you them when they are completed!
If you want to buy the book, I know that Essem Textiles has a few in stock. As well, I will be teaching several quilts from this book at Essem later this month. Contact them to sign up for the class.
Here is the Schedule for the Blog Hop: (All links up to Oct 11 are direct links to the original post, so you won’t have to hunt through the blogs! … you’re welcome!)
- Scrappy Improv Quilting Blog Tour Schedule-8/31- Intro, Single Block Beauties, and Simple Shapes
- 9/7- Seasonal Sensations, Standards With a Twist My Quilt Infatuation
- 9/13- Summer Blossom– Lori @ Crossquilt
- Up, Up, and Away– Sandra @ mmm…quilts!
- 9/15- Flutter– Rose @ Something Rosemade
- Botanics– Diann @ Little Penguin Quilts
- 9/20- Face the Sun– Laura @ Slice of Pi Quilts
- Full Spectrum– Jayne @ Twiggy and Opal
- 9/22- Prismatic– Anja @ Anja Quilts
- Downpour– Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting
- 9/27- Funkytown– Vasudha @ Storied Quilts
- Cherub Wings– Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty
- 9/29- Chapel Window– Kris @ Sew Sunshine
- Winter Frost– Leanne @ Devoted Quilter
- 10/4- Heartstruck– Rebecca Grace @ Rebecca Grace Quilting
- Star Spangled– Christine @ Triangles & Squares
- 10/6- Birds of a Feather– Preeti @ Sew Preeti Quilts
- Fall Foliage– Susan @ Quilt Fabrication
- 10/11- Ornamental– Gail @ Quilting Gail
- Churn, Churn, Churn– Cynthia @ Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework
- 10/13- Sunset Crossing– Kate @ Katie Mae Quilts
- Positivity– Sarah @ Sarah Goer Quilts
- 10/18- All Dressed Up– Linda @ Flourishing Palms
- Shockwave– Anne-Marie @ Stories From the Sewing Room