This was a jelly roll mystery that we did at the guild. I attempted to do Angela Walter’s “Swirl Chain” again. (It’s a FMQ pattern that my cousin, Terry, recommended). I tried, but in the end, I ended up doing my own thing. But you know what? I’m totally fine with that and it’s DONE!!! In the end, I like the echoed swirls and echoed teardrops – it gives it a nice texture. (another UFO bites the dust!)
Free Motion Quilting
When I first started FMQ, I had an ugly quilt – really really ugly and I used it to practice on. It was great as I didn’t have to EVER take out a single stitch. I could use any colour I wanted and I practiced away. I still have that quilt … somewhere … and it could probably be re-purposed into absolutely nothing at all.
When I was with my sister last week, she mentioned that she wanted to start doing some FMQ. I told her about my ugly quilt and how it was great to practice on. She has only made one quilt and one bag – so she doesn’t have anything ugly. THEN … I had a brilliant idea! Oh yes … it’s brilliant!! I have this super ugly quilt that I’ve sandwiched and attempted to quilt – but it’s ugly and I used the wrong colour of thread to boot! And I don’t want to take the stitching out. SEW …. I’m going to give it to my sister … she can hack it into 2 or 3 smaller quilts and practice her FMQ on it. And, sorry, it’s way too ugly to spend time taking a picture!
This is brilliant because
- It will give my sister something to practice on where it doesn’t matter if the quilting is bad, if a zillion eye-lashes appear on the back or whatever … a great practice piece
- This is the best part: I get rid of a UFO! Sew, Lynn, I thank you very very much for taking a UFO off my hands!
Check out what others in the quilting world are doing.
- WIPs on Wednesday @ Esther Quilt Blog
- Let’s Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts
- Midweek Makers @ QuiltFabrication
- Wednesday Wait Loss @ Inquiring Quilter
- Happy Needle and Thread @ My Quilt Infatuation
- Can I get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
- Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts
- Finished or Not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts
- Sherry @ Powered by Quilting
- Caroline @ SewCanShe