With travelling, working at Quilt Canada and my job, it’s been a bit of a struggle to get back into sewing / quilting.
Quilt-as-You-Go table runner
Yesterday, at a guild workshop / sewing day. I made the above table runner and put the binding on today.
We used this free pattern from Phoebe Moon. However, to make it a quilt-as-you-go runner, there were a few changes:
- Obviously, you do not need to use white, green & pink … choose colours / fabrics of your own choice.
- The cutting directions were confusing. SEW … we ended up with these cut pieces:
- white: (1) 9 ½” x 9 ½” square
- white: (2) 12″ x 2″ strips
- pink: (2) 12″ x 9 ½” rectangles
- green: (2) 12″ x 9 ½” rectangles
- Sew the 12″ x 2″ white rectangles onto the 12″ side of ONE 12″ x 9 ½” pink and ONE 12″ x 9 ½” green rectangle.
- sub-cut these into pink (6) 2″ x 11″ rectangles and green (6) 2″ x 11″ rectangles
- Sub-cut the remaining 12″ x 9 ½” pink rectangle into (6) 2″ x 9 ½” rectangles.
- Sub-cut the remaining 12″ x 9 ½” green rectangle into (6) 2″ x 9 ½” rectangles.
- Spray baste one side of the batting and smooth it down onto the backing.
- Mark the batting centre lines, both horizontal and vertical, with blue chalk.
- Position white 9 ½” x 9 ½” square with each corner on a blue chalk line. Baste in place.
- Take (2) 2″ x 9 ½” pink rectangles, place one right sides together on one side of the white square. Place the other on the opposite site of the square.
- Increase your stitch size (somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5)
- Bring bobbin thread to the top
- Sew with a ¼” seam.
- At the end of the seam, leave a tail of thread before cutting the thread, and bring the bobbin thread to the top.
- NOTE: Bringing the bobbin threads to the top ensures that your back is neat and tidy and you won’t need to bury any threads!
- Take (2) 2″ x 11″ pink rectangles, placing them on the 2 other sides of the square. Ensure the small white square lines up with the centre chalk line.
- Follow the original directions, trying to keep the white squares lined up with the centre chalk line. Cut & bind as directed.
Here are pictures of the ones 2 guild members made. The first one has binding attached, it just needs to be turned under and sewn. The 2nd one needs to be trimmed and binding added. Aren’t they both beautiful?
Here is a couple of pictures of ones I made around 4 years ago. The first ones were made from the original pattern, using a jelly roll and using 2½” strips (without cutting them down to 2″) The black, white, grey one was made as a “Quilt-as-You-Go.”
As you can see, this pattern can lend itself to many variations and is quick and easy to make!
I usually don’t count quilts that I start for teaching as part of my PHD in 2018 / UFO challenge. If I teach the same workshop again, I don’t want to have to start over … so those projects go in my “teaching” box.
However, with the Quilt-as-you-go Table runner … it is a finished project. One that was started and finished this past week. I used 6 fat quarters for this project: 2 were pieced together for the back, one for the binding and 3 for the top … so 6 fat quarters equals 1.25 yards. Not a lot, but, ever little bit counts, eh?
Fabric Used this Week: 1.25 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 155.35 yards
Fabric Added this Week: 0 yards (yeah … no shopping = no fabric!)
Fabric Added Year to Date: 49 yards
Net Fabric used for 2017: 106.35 yards
PHD in 2018 Report
Hmmm … I think I need to start another column of projects started in 2018! For my PHD in 2018, all projects started in 2018 need to be finished by the end of 2018 (with a few exceptions). The idea is to NOT increase the UFO count!
To see what others in the quilting world are working on, check out the following blogs:
- Caroline @ SewCanShe
- Tish @ Tish’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Sunday Stash @ quiltpaintcreate
- Oh Scrap @ Quilting is More Fun than Housework
- Peaceful Sunday @ Janda Bend Quilts or Linky Party
- Monday Making @ Love, Laugh, Quilt
- Main Crush Monday @ Cooking up Quilts
- Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
- Moving it Forward Monday @ Em’s Scrapbag
- Linky Tuesday @ Free Motion by the River
- Colour Inspiration @ Clever Chameleon Quilting