Oh me, oh my!!! What an awesome trip I had. I spent a week in England/Wales, a week in Johannesburg, 3 days in Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls), 5 days on Safari in Namibia at Etosha National Park, 4 days in Cape Town, and finally 2 days in Paris. If you ever consider an African Safari – let me know, and I will give you the name of a fabulous company and the most wonderful guide!
Visit my YouTube video HERE to see pictures from my trip that may inspire future quilts. These pictures were all taken with my phone and were chosen from over 3,000 pictures that I took.
This is a sewing machine that was in a store in Cape Town, where the owner makes all of the clothes for sale right in the store. This machine was one of the “newer” ones. The ones they use on a daily basis were in the back and unfortunately, I didn’t get to see them! Somehow, I suspect that the decals are not in the prestine condition of this machine!
I only had 2 opportunities to buy fabric … we ended up in a small town, Kalk Bay, which is south of Cape Town … on the way to the Cape of Good Hope … and there was a very unique tourist shop and they had a tiny selection of fabric!!! Of course, I had to buy some. The piece in the upper right corner (picture below) came from Kalk Bay.
A few days later, we went to Lowry’s Fabrics in Cape Town. The fabric on the lower left is a panel with several motifs. The top left is the coordinating piece. Both my sister & I bought these. She’s thinking of making place mats & bags … I’m not sure if I’ll do the same or simply back the panel and quilt it. I don’t need to decide right now.
The rest of the fabric is Shwe Shwe cotton fabric that is made in Eastern South Africa. It is quite stiff – almost to the point of feeling like a board. But apparently, once it is washed, it will be a very soft, supple cotton. The washing instructions are on the right.
Although, it doesn’t say on the instructions, the lovely lady in Lowry’s told us to soak the fabric in salt water to preserve the colours. That’s easy enough to do!
Lowry’s does have an online shop where you can order fabric. The Shwe Shwe is Rand 79.00 – which works out to less than $7.90 Canadian per meter. (Even less in the US) … but the shipping will make the price triple or quadriple.
I did not sew AT ALL while I was away. I’m ready to start sewing … my machines went for their annual spa visit while I was away and are now set up and waiting. What will I sew first? I have NO idea … I know that I will sew something fun. Well, DUH, all of my sewing is fun, so I don’t know what I’m saying! You can blame it on my jet lag!
Absolutely no sewing, so no fabric used. However, I did not count the projects on my blog that posted while I was away.
- Child’s Play – Island Batik on the front, my stash on the back – 3 yards
- Zipper pouches – Mostly Island Batik, but some stash – 1 yard
- Biscornu pincushions – Island Batic fabric
My Africian fabrics totalled 8 yards total. Not bad. I did have to restrain myself because I only travelled with carry-on luggage and it had to fit in! (OK … so I did leave a nightly and a few other clothes behind!)
- Fabric Used this week 4 yards
- Fabric Used this year: 123.6 yards
- Fabric Bought this week: 8 yards
- Fabric Added this year: 65.05
- Net Fabric used 64,55
- Husband’s Purchases 9.5
- January – Aug: 196 out of 222
- Sept: 1 out of 1
- Year-to-date: 197 out of 223 = 88%
(Reminder, I’m only counting days that I’m home.)
For more Stitchin’ Time, you can check out Kate’s blog: Life in Pieces
Updated picture of my status.
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!
- Tish @ Tish’s Adventures in Wonderland
- So Scrappy Saturdays @ So Scrappy
- Sunday Stash @ quiltpaintcreate
- Oh Scrap @ Quilting is More Fun than Housework
- Wednesday Wait Loss @ Inquiring Quilter
- Put your Foot Down @ For the Love of Geese
- Can I get a Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict
- Finished or Not Friday @ Alycia Quilts
- Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty
- TGIFF @ Storied Quilts
- Monday Making @ Love, Laugh, Quilt
- Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
- Moving it Forward Monday @ Em’s Scrapbag
- Main Crush Monday @ Cooking up Quilts