It’s Never to Early is the Island Batik theme for this month! And this is what the instructions said, “No one typically thinks of winter in the summertime but it’s the best time of all to get an early start on Christmas and holiday projects! No matter what special holidays you celebrate around the end of the year, this challenge has something for everyone.”
I’ve always wanted to make a log cabin wreath. Like forever. And THIS is the year to make it. I googled Log Cabin Wreaths and there are a TON of patterns out there. But none that I really liked. SEW … EQ to the rescue.
I drew my own block since I wanted the finished size of the blocks to be 7″ and I wanted the centre red square to be 1″ square.
I gathered various Island Batik green scraps, some from Mystery, some from Napa Valley, the red is Wavy Dots Cherry BE. The light background is Coconut.
It definitely needed a bow … so many to choose from! I found one I liked. It’s not perfectly even on both sides and that fits my style completely! Besides, when a bow hangs on a wreath, it’s never symmetrical. Well, at least mine aren’t!
I decided to trapunto the bow and here is a picture of the extra backing being cut away. Again, I used Wavy Dots Cherry BE for the bow. Although, you can’t tell in the picture below!
And, even though I absolutely HATE applique, that’s how it was sewn down. (I’ve been known to call it “CR-AP-plique!) An obvious sign that I need to practice it more! (right?)
I decided to try a double batting to see if I could get the bow to pop out even more. So 2 layers of Hobbs 80/20 were used. And, the white stars popped out, but the green ones did not.
In the centre and the 4 corner blocks, I used a Silly Moon “Twinkle” ruler for the stars. Then did a fairly small stipple so that the stars would pop. I used Aurifil #2600 – Dove to do this part. I quilted the stars in the green portions of the blocks with the same thread. Then I stippled with # 2890 – Very Dark Grass Green.
Since it is July, this little wall hanging decided to lounge in the pool and hang out by the flowers …
This Fusible Batting Strip package from Hobbs batting inspired me to make a Christmas basket!!!
Fabrics for the basket were some of the same fabrics I used for the log cabins above, some strips from stash builder bundles and a red large dot fabric that I bought at a booth selling Island Batik fabrics . (Obviously a few years ago since there have not been “in person” quilt shows for quite a while.)
I started by joining 2 1/2″ strips of fabric together (the same way you would join binding. Then I pressed them in half. Opened it up, placed the batting strips on the wrong side of the fabric, folded the fabric and batting towards the middle and then in half … pressed it together.
I tapered the end and sewed a 1/4″ seam along the edge of the strip. Then I placed about a 7″ piece together, scrunching the ends and started sewing. I used the Schmetz Microtex Chrome 70/10 needle and it sewed through all the layers like a dream!
Once I had about 3″ of a flat surface, I started to curve up the sides.
And here is the finished basket!
Disclosure: The fabrics, thread, batting and needles were generously supplied by the following companies:
Make sure that you visit the other Island Batik ambassadors for your holiday inspiration this month!!