I posted about Challenge # 1 HERE.
Island Batik did not say we needed to do 2 challenges this month … this was my choice. Especially since this project is also 3D. And, since I need to make sewing machine covers, this just made sense to me!
It’s a sewing machine cover for my serger.
It started with me joining all of the left-over strips from my challenge quilt. That quilt used the 2½” strips from the line “Islander Batiks” as well as a couple of co-ordinating blenders. (See HERE).
I made the strips into a loop and then cut them 2½” apart. Joined them together as you would for a bargello. The backing is “Snow Trees Honey Elk Lod” that I was sent in my first Island Batik box. I used Hobbs Thermore for the batting. It was perfect! Low loft and added a bit of stability to the cover. I quilted the piece with a meander using Aurifil #2370. The perfect camoflogue thread!
My dear husband made the cardboard outline so that I had an idea of the shape. I cut out 2 mirror images from the quilted fabric and had one long piece that would go from front, over the top to the back. It wasn’t quite long enough, so I added a strip to each end using “Turtle Marb” that was a co-ordinating fabric (you can see it at the bottom of the cover.)
As I sewed the long strips to the side, I rounded all of the corners. That was SEW much easier than trying to sew the right angles!!!
It’s a perfect fit for my serger!
I will show you 3D Challenge #3 later this week!
Disclaimer: The products featured in this Blog post were given to me by Island Batik, and their program partners: Aurifil, & Hobbs Batting!
Frolic: Bonnie Hunter’s Mystery … Part 1 & 2 are done …. waiting for Part 3
Smith Mountain Morning is almost finished being quilted!!!
I like to make lists at the beginning of the week, but I’ll still link up to Roseanne & Sue’s Home Sewn by Us on Tuesday.
Last week’s list:
- Quilt Smith Mountain Morning – ½ hour / day √ done
- Prep 2 blocks from 52 blocks in 52 weeks – week 46 & 47 √ done
- Sew 2 blocks from 52 blocks in 52 weeks – week 38 – 39 √ done
- Add borders to 3 baby quilts. √ done
This week’s list:
- Quilt Smith Mountain Morning – ½ hour / day & binding
- Prep 2 blocks from 52 blocks in 52 weeks – week 48
- Sew 2 blocks from 52 blocks in 52 weeks – week 40 – 41
- Sandwich 3 baby quilts
I used fabric from my stash to back this table runner. I’m inching closer to the 100 yard line!
- Fabric Used this week 0.5 yards
- Fabric Used this year: 157.35 yards
- Fabric Bought this week: 0 yards
- Fabric Added this year: 68.05
- Net Fabric used 93.3
- Husband’s Purchases 9.5
- January – Nov: 258 out of 292
- Dec: 8 out of 8
- Year-to-date: 266 out of 300 = 89%
For more Stitchin’ Time, you can check out Kate’s blog: Life in Pieces
One who sleeps under a quilt is covered by LOVE!
- Tish @ Tish’s Adventures in Wonderland
- So Scrappy Saturdays @ So Scrappy
- Sunday Stash @ quiltpaintcreate
- Oh Scrap @ Quilting is More Fun than Housework
- What I Made Monday @ Pretty Piney Quilts
- Monday Making @ Love, Laugh, Quilt
- Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
- To-Do Tuesday @ Home Sewn By Us
- Colour Inspiration Tuesday @ Clever Chameleon Quilting